Wow, so much has happened in such a short amount of time. Sorry for the lack of updates! :)
This past Monday through Friday was the Gallery's first Kid's Shadow Puppet Workshop. Both Joy and I weren't exactly thrilled when we found out we were going to be making a lot of puppets this month, but man- it turned out to be amazing activity for the kids! We appreciate it so, so much now. Jimmy, one of the artists at the gallery is pretty much amazing at designing the Shadow Puppets. The kids at the camp got SO into it as we taught them how to not only create puppets, but a story (which they performed to their parents and some of the kids of the surrounding village on the last day).
Sometimes, we don't see the fruit of our actions. We didn't think a little puppet workshop with the kids of the community would be a big deal. I mean, It went well and they enjoyed it, but little did we know, it made a mark. They went back and taught their friends, who taught their friends. A puppet movement is happening in Shahpur Jat :)
Joy, Janis (my host), Moumita (an artist), and I taught a collaborative class on Design Fusion yesterday as well.
I think the MOST AMAZING part of this trip and the past two weeks was getting to know the artists at the gallery. This shift began when Joy and I went with Moumita to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. It was an absolutely beautiful piece of history and architecture, yet, I really think the conversations we shared with Moumita that trip were even more precious than seeing the beauty of the site. I've learned so much from her. She sees the world through completely different eyes- so creative, so generous, and so spunky :) She's been through so much, yet has so much to offer everyone she meets. Her "crazy" view of life is contagious.
Prittam and Nirakar are two other artists that have left a mark on our lives. Prittam's work is rich with meaning and he has an inspiring process. He always says it's always a spiritual experience and journey within every canvas,. A group of us went to the gallery of modern art in Delhi yesterday and he gave me a whole Indian art history tour. It was so encouraging to see his artistic influences and see deeper into his journey as an artist and in life, since those two can't be separated. I've already learned so much from him and his art.
Nirakar pretty much makes us smile, all the time. He has such an awesome sense of humor and joy about him that's SO contagious. He struggles with his english a bit, so it's hard to communicate all the time, but his actions and attitude speak louder than words. I love his work too- he is amazing with intricate detailing and design. He has a few paintings of stones/statues that look like you can reaching out and grab them. He's so honest and humble too. As we were walking through a market yesterday, someone gave me extra change (which is rare, let me tell you haha most of the time people try to give you less). He noticed right away and went back into the store to return it. Seemingly insignificant example, but such a glimpse of his every day life- doesn't go unnoticed.
I will hopefully share more of what He's been teaching me when I return (because there's quite a bit!!!) One reminder that He used as a big shift in my time here was this:
Even when He doesn't show up in the way I expect, He's still here, still living, still moving, still faithful, still worthy of all praise. So many of the things I had been viewing as negatives have beautiful lessons attached (ones I wouldn't have learned without the struggles associated with them).
I was reminded of a charcoal illustration I made last spring entitled the Road Less Traveled...
It's a city scape of a ton of people walking across a street in the rain with umbrellas. In the middle of the image is one girl without an umbrella looking up 'embracing' the rain, getting soaked, instead of avoiding it with the umbrella.
At the time, that image reflected how often we try to avoid suffering and discomfort. We want convenience and to stay out of the storms. But, we aren't always meant for comfort, sometimes the storms and rain are meant for a period of growth, washing away, or refreshing...
As I thought back on this, He began to show me that the rain is meant to be embraced this month. yet, in that embrace came beautiful insights:
-yes, the language barrier can be a struggle, but it is a reminder of the significance of communication- 1) how necessary it will be to learn when i'm overseas longterm 2)how amazing and powerful nonverbal or visuals can be.
-yes, there is so much undesired attention and stares as a foreigner- i'll never blend in or be treated completely like an indian, yet with the huge burden comes a chance to connect in another way- there is a sense of favor sometimes- undeserved or contrived, yet- a favor provided by the creator, one to be seen through his eyes
-yes, i may not feel and see his presence in the way I desperately long for right now, but wow, is he here and SO good. There is nowhere i can go where He is not. What an amazing promise to cling to.
Thank you so much for praying. Can't wait to share more. Lots of processing lately :)
Be praying for the goodbyes that will be happening soon. It's always difficult. Also, HUGE praise for a place to stay on the way home- not only do I not have to stay in the airport overnight, but I have the chance to friends I haven't seen in 1-2 years :)
So gooood.
Praise God for the amazing things he taught you and brought you through on this trip! I was praying for you, so it's cool to read your blog. I look forward to seeing you back at Taylor this fall!
ReplyDelete